Sunday, August 21, 2016

Introduction

Introduction to a Full-Time Working Student

I am majoring in Planned Program with an emphasis in Neuroscience and pursuing a minor in Spanish with Honors. I am currently applying to medical school and recently finished my personal statement. Writing a personal statement is one of the most difficult things I have done, but I believe mine really explains who I am and what I am all about. Below is my personal statement, which details some of my most significant personal and academic endeavors. 
(Me, a few days before taking the MCAT- picture taken by Christen O'Neal)

Mass casualty. Dozens of people injured, several in critical condition, and many of which were en route to my hospital. As a surgical technologist at a Level I Trauma Center, I had often responded to emergent calls, but never to one like this. I had been working in the operating room for almost a year, learning to scrub a wide variety of surgical cases, from traumatic gunshot wounds and motor vehicle accidents, to complex tumor resections and aneurysm clippings. While these experiences had equipped me with the skill set to handle the unique difficulties of specific cases, I anticipated new obstacles as I prepared to deal with this event. However, recognizing the opportunity to traverse unfamiliar terrain is not a foreign concept to me. My path to pursuing a medical degree has been challenging, and it certainly has not always been clear. Nevertheless, each challenge has illuminated my path, providing me only with further insight and determination to follow my ambitions.
During my first year in college, I became captivated by the field of medicine as a volunteer in the emergency department. At the time, I was balancing a full-time schedule at work with a full course load at school, leaving only a few hours each week to volunteer. However, interacting with patients and helping the nurses quickly became the highlight of these weeks. I immediately fell in love with the compassion displayed by the medical team and the emergency department’s natural sense of urgency.
The following semester, financial hardship forced me to take on more hours at work, limiting my time to volunteer. Seeking out opportunities to obtain the hands-on medical experience I craved, while continuing to financially support myself and my family, I decided to apply to the surgical technology program and accept a unit secretary position in the same emergency department which I had volunteered. I was pushed to new limits with full days of classes followed by 12-hour overnight shifts, but the experience I gained motivated me to persevere. I was determined.
Once I began my clinical rotations for the program, nothing could dull the excitement I felt as I explored this new world of medicine. While I had hoped that my training would provide me with the insight I needed to fully commit myself to the demanding lifestyle of a physician, I could not anticipate the passion within myself that it would ignite. My desire to understand each procedure coupled with the opportunity to critically think about the steps and potential complications of the cases transformed my initial enchantment with medicine to a profound admiration, inspiring a new sense of devotion to the field.
Upon graduation from the program, I dove wholeheartedly into the prerequisite coursework for medical school while maintaining a full-time schedule with call. The challenge of successfully balancing work and school remained, but the inspiration of working alongside dedicated physicians, along with the constant reassurance that I was closer to achieving my goals each day, provided me with the momentum necessary to forge my own path into medicine. It empowered me to boldly seek out other opportunities to grow, including participating in neurosurgical research in brain mapping and contributing to a publication on neuronavigation.
Altogether, the steps I had taken to grow professionally and academically had brought me to this pivotal moment, preparing me to respond to the mass casualty event that day. I had just scrubbed in to set up, when the door burst open to reveal our patient, already intubated and in critical condition. Suffering from severe head trauma and several deep lacerations, the patient’s life relied on the success of the case and our ability to work together as a surgical team. We worked diligently to relieve the patient’s severely increased intracranial pressure while the vascular team assessed the damage of the lacerations. Once our patient was successfully stabilized and transported to the intensive care unit, we continued to assist with the numerous traumas requiring surgery that day.
It was not until later, while driving home, that I was afforded a chance to reflect on the experience. Although the day had been hectic, with each patient requiring immediate and thorough care, it became less about being prepared for the challenges that each case presented, and more about pulling together as a team to perform the tasks necessary to save these patients’ lives. I felt honored to be a member of that team and humbled that my journey had taken me so far. While reaching that point had been demanding, each experience was invaluable, consistently affirming my desire to do whatever was necessary to achieve my goal of becoming a physician. It has been the combined sum of these experiences, the challenges I rose above as well as the ones I stumbled over, that have defined my journey and my passion for healthcare, propelling me forward as I dedicate myself with absolute certainty to life in medicine.



 

14 comments:

  1. Including the personal statement here is a nice twist, Christen — and I know what you mean about how hard those are to write. You did a super job, with something dramatic to frame the story of your professional ambitions, with important personal detail inside that frame. I hope you will get good news about school soon. Did you apply for any of those early admission programs so that you will find out already this fall? I will be thinking good thoughts for you!

    The flexibility of this online class should be a plus in your busy life, and perhaps you will want to explore the theme of medicine and healing in the Indian context. You will see that theme in the epics, like when Hanuman flies away to fetch the healing herbs from the Himalayas and ends up bringing back the whole mountain; you'll be meeting Hanuman already next week, so keep an eye out for the incident called "Medicine Hill" — it is a super-popular theme in devotional art about Hanuman, and you can get a sneak peek here if you are curious: Hanuman and the Sanjivani herb of healing ... and I hope you will enjoy the class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not apply to any early admissions programs but I promise to update my introduction if I receive an invitation for an interview sometime this semester!

      Delete
  2. Christen, this is incredibly inspiring, and I can't wait to see how you use your work ethic and passion for medicine to help heal even more people in the future. I also love that you are still pursuing a minor in Spanish, despite the fact that it isn't necessary from a medical standpoint, in addition to being an Honors student. I can't wait to read more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Christen! I loved reading your personal statement and best of luck with your medical school applications. I'm a junior pre-med student and although I'm a Letters major, I was considering a Neuroscience Planned Program when I was a freshman, so it's cool to meet someone who's going through it. Your dedication to medicine is so inspiring and it truly reflects in your statement; I'm glad you had the opportunity to partake in such meaningful work and I hope your passion will take you far as you continue to impact lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also applying to medical schools right now! Working while going to school is a balance I know well, and adding application essays on top of that can be quite challenging. However, you seem to be a strong applicant and have done a great job with your essay. I wish the best to you as this strenuous process moves forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if this doesn't sound like an episode of Grey's Anatomy... I so admire your passion for medicine! I myself was once a Biology Pre-Veterinary Medicine major (a bit different), but I didn't end up sticking with it. It sounds like you have a had a lot on your plate and in times where I would have laid down and cried (and prob just given up) you persevered and now you get to help save lives!!! I loved reading your introduction and learning more about you. Thanks for sharing your passion with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoah! Motivation central! How did you pull off classes with 12 hour shifts at night? I bartended for a time while also taking a full courseload -- I was so sleep-deprived by the end of the semester though! But, I was working 6-7 days a week, so that was terrible. It sounds like you are really able to push yourself, so that should really serve you well in the demanding hours of med school! Great job on your personal narrative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Christen! Wow, you are putting in a lot of handwork for something that you are very obviously so passionate about. This is a really awesome way to write an introduction to yourself. I feel like I was in a real life Grey's situation (I'm sure you hate that). Thank you for putting in the hard work and dedication that it takes to go into the medical field. My mother was a nurse for 38 years before she finally retired and because of that, I have always known the medical field was a path I was never going to take!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this introduction! I am also doing a planned program but mine is teaching english and writing. I completely understand the working all time and being a student full time so I relate to you quite bit. Good job on pushing through and making your dreams happen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Christen! It's so nice to finally have a new introduction to read. I just have to say that I think it is amazing that you are focusing on neuroscience. That is probably one of the hardest things out there, but I have no doubt your handling it like a champ! I also really like that you're getting your minor in Spanish! It's always cool to get a little extra out of your education.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Christen,
    You are clearly an amazingly dedicated person in the medical field. Reading your personal statement gave me much more insight into your life than you could have revealed in a list of interests, because medicine is obviously more than an "interest" to you. I hope I find half the passion for something that you have for your job. Good luck with the rest of your med school applications! They'd be crazy not to accept you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't imagine working in such a high-stress job. Or not knowing what kind of injury the next patient will have. You would really have to be knowledgeable in a great many types of emergency procedures. I'm sure that after a few years of medical school, you'll have an even richer experience to draw from.
    Neuroscience and Spanish don't seem very closely connected. How did you decide to to pursue a minor in Spanish?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Christen,
    You sound like a person who is extremely passionate about their work. That is awesome to see! I often find that I am going through the motions while at work because I am not extremely passionate about what I do. I can’t wait to find a job that I can be passionate about like you are with the medical field.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, your experience sounds amazing! I cannot even imagine what it would be like to have to work through that and take care of all of those people. I'm so glad that there are people like you who can work for hours at a time to save others. Good luck with the rest of your studies! From what I read in your personal statement, you sound like you're prepared for anything!

    ReplyDelete