Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Reading Notes: Narayan's Ramayana Part B

Vishvamitra
I found the background to this story particularly interesting because Thataka was punished with the rest of her family for the behavior of her sons and husband. I am interested in the way justice is portrayed in the Ramayana specifically because I think that it could be a very useful theme to cover in my storybook. Rather than let justice play out the way that it does in this story, I might imagine a different ending for Thataka and a more just ending for her sons and husband.

Ahalya
This is another story that I might like to take a closer look at. Although this story has a happier and more just ending, this is a similar story of a female character taking blame for an action that she had not intended to happen. Rama seems to be like a redeemer of justice in this story when he releases Ahalya, as opposed to the story of Thataka, where he seems to add injury to the already grave insult.

Rama and Sita
I really enjoy the story of Rama and Sita so far. I am interested to see what happens later in their story and to find out how justice is applied in this story. Based on the storybooks I have read so far, Sita's story is sad and often viewed as unjust. Although I find this story line interesting, I would like to focus on a less utilized subject (perhaps the justice theme in relation to women whose actions lack malicious intent).

Rama Attacking Thataka (Source: Wikimedia Commons)


Bibliography 
Narayan's Ramayana; source link

No comments:

Post a Comment