Sunday, October 9, 2016

Wikipedia Trails: From Karna to Anrita

Karna
After finishing the third part of the epified version of The Mahabharata, I looked up Karna on wikipedia to learn a little more. I learned that in one of the versions of Karna's death, the goddess of Dharma was protecting him from Arjuna's arrows. This led me to the next article on Dharma.

Arjuna Killing Karna (Web Source)

Dharma
I knew already that the concept of Dharma was fairly complex, but I had thought of it as someone acting in accordance with their fate. However, there is no one word that actually can serve as a translation for the concept of Dharma. I also found a new word, Adharma.

Adharma
I found the words used to define Adharma very interesting because they were not exactly the opposite of fate. Instead, it meant something more along the lines of evil or wrong. It just reminds me that different cultures have different opinions regarding fate.

Anrita
After reading the article about Adharma, I read about Anrita, a son of the god Adharma. I found it really interesting that each of these concepts was personified as a deity. 









No comments:

Post a Comment