Monday, October 3, 2016

Wikipedia Trails: From Krishna to Jyotirlinga

Krishna
I was reading the online reading guide this week for Narayan's Mahabharata, when I noticed that Krishna, one of Vishnu's avatars, made an appearance. I was curious to learn more about Krishna, since my storybook really tries to tie different stories together throughout time. As I was reading this article, I noticed that one of his wives while he was Krishna, was Lakshmana, another name for his previous love, Sita.

Hindu Calendar
After reading about Krishna, I came across a link to the article on the Hindu Calendar. I think the way that different cultures organize time is fascinating and so I wanted to see some of the differences between my concept of how to organize time within a year and how Hindu culture organizes time.

Hindu Calendar (Web Source)
Maha Shivaratari
After looking at the Hindu Calendar article, I found this article about Maha Shivaratari, a festival celebrated in Shiva's honor during the winter season. During this festival, some religious devotees take a pilgrimage to Jyotirlingams, which led me to the next article.

Jyotirlinga
Jyotirlingams are shrines devoted to Shiva, and translates to The Radiant Sign of the Almighty Shiva.


No comments:

Post a Comment