Sunday, November 20, 2016

Reading Notes: Seven Secrets of Vishnu (Part A)

Reading Notes: Seven Secrets of Vishnu (Mohini)

I thought this reading was really interesting. It discussed the idea of having two realities: a tangible or material reality, represented with the female form, and an intangible or spiritual reality, represented with the male form. Mohini is the female form of Vishnu, but unlike any of the female deities, Mohini represents spiritual reality. This reading does a really good job of reinforcing the idea of balance.
I appreciated that the narrator in the first video tried to reconcile some of the irritation associated with the separation of the two realities into genders, however I am not sure that I understand the reasoning enough to agree with the narrator. I recognize this is more than likely a cultural difference that is making it more difficult for me to really understand this kind of reasoning.

Mohini on a swing by Raja Ravi Varma (Web Source)
Bibliography:
Seven Secrets of Vishnu by Devdutt Pattanaik (Web Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment