Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Story Planning: Brahma

Story Planning: The Unacknowledged Creator
 
Reading Notes: Seven Secrets of Hindu Calendar Art (Brahma)
Brahma's Secret
I thought this reading was really interesting because it points out the differences between Brahma and the other Hindu deities, especially relative to the way Christianity views "the creator" deity. I know that I definitely had questions when I first started researching Brahma because I had a much different view of any deity that is deemed "the creator" from my own religious experiences with Christianity and what I learned in Latin about Roman and Greek mythology. 

I think it could be really interesting to tell the creation story from Brahma's point of view and really watch how he forgets the exact reason why the world is created. I think it could be really interesting to have Brahma interacting with some of the other deities as they come into the world and have them question him for not remembering why the world was created. 

I would like to portray Brahma as being really confident about his creation when no one else is around, but unsure of his creation in the presence of others. I think this could create an interesting dynamic that really highlights the reason why Brahma is not worshiped like the other deities. Other people have an interpretation of him that is negative once they realize he is unable to answer why he created everything.

I think Saraswati could be an important part of this story as the redeeming "better half" of Brahma by representing knowledge and wisdom. It would be interesting if Saraswati reminded Brahma why he created the world in the first place and it could reinforce her tie to Devi, who is also known as the primary creator (Brahma is often acknowledged as the secondary creator).
 
Brahma and Saraswati (Web Source)
 
Bibliography:
Seven Secrets of Hindu Calendar Art by Devdutt Pattanaik (Web Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment