Sunday, November 20, 2016

Wikipedia Trails: From Mohini to Narasimha

Mohini
I wanted to learn more about Mohini after my reading this week. So, I found Mohini's wikipedia article and read more about Vishnu's only female avatar. Her description was much different on wikipedia than the videos I watched by Pattanaik and most notably described Mohini's other form, Mahalasa.

Mohini on a swing by Raja Ravi Varma (Web Source)
Mahalasa
Mohini's article led me to an article on Mahalasa, the consort of Shiva's avatar, Khandoba. Mahalasa is very interesting and is explained as partially Mohini (and therefore Vishnu) and partially Parvati (as the consort of Shiva). Mahalasa seems to reinforce the interconnected nature of Hinduism, as many other deities seem to also do.

Kuladevata
After reading Mahalasa's article, I read Kuladevata's article. Kuladevata is known as the family goddess, or a specific goddess that a family or clan worships. Different families or clans from different regions have different Kuladevatas, often based on the beliefs or traditions of that region.

Narasimha
After I read about Kuladevatas, I read about Narasimha, the Kuludevata of a group of the Konkani people. Narasimha is an avatar of Vishnu.

No comments:

Post a Comment