Saturday, November 19, 2016

Wikipedia Trails: From Durga to Dattatreya

Durga
I looked up Durga because she was in the Epified Krishna reading I did this week.

Durga (Web Source)
Renuka
After I read about Durga, I read about Renuka, who is one of Durga's reincarnations.

Parashurama
Renuka's page then led me to Parashurama, who is the sixth avatar of Vishnu. He is also the son that beheaded Renuka, at his father's command, after she lusted after a Gandharva. I find this interesting because this resembles other stories in which conflicts regarding devotion of one of the goddesses of the Tridevi to one of the gods of the Trimuti.

Dattatreya
Parashurama's page then led me to Dattatreya, considered by some to be a deity and by others as a monk. He is said to be either an avatar of Vishnu, or even the entire Trimurti.

No comments:

Post a Comment