Thursday, November 3, 2016

Story Planning: Ganesha and the Eternal Balancing Act

Story Planning for Seven Secrets from Hindu Calendar Art (Devdutt Pattanaik)

Ganesha
I really enjoyed the analysis in this reading and found the part about Ganesha representing the balance between pursuing what's best for the individual (Shiva/spiritual aspirations) and pursuing what's best for the family (Parvati/material aspirations) to be interesting.

I want Ganesha to be the central character in my story and for the content of the story to portray this balance that he represents. So, I'm thinking I could present Ganesha with a conflict of pursuing his personal interests while balancing the interests of his family. I am also considering a different approach of these conflicting interests by making the conflict about spiritual aspirations versus material aspirations. I do find the representation of Shiva as the manifestation of spiritual aspirations and of Parvati as the manifestation of material aspirations to be really interesting because it is a very individualistic perspective. I may be seeing it from a very western perspective, though, in which seeking individual achievements over familial achievements is sometimes viewed rather negatively for women.

Narayan
I thought it was interesting that death was not seen as a "full stop" in Hindu culture. I feel like this principle is embodied in the creation story with all of the creators and important deities interconnected.

At first, I was not entirely sure how I would approach connecting these two stories into one overall story, but my overarching goal would be to represent Ganesha as this figure capable of divine balance. With as many things going on during my own semester right now, I was considering making Ganesha into a student that works full-time and encounters plenty of defining struggles that help him learn this divine balance. Once he has an understanding of this balance, maybe he encounters pause in his endeavors while he continues to improve his ability to balance the things that the universe throws at him. I was also thinking I could show Ganesha as a male in one life, leaning towards the familial or material side of the balance as he sorts through this conflict and as a female in another life, leaning towards the individualistic or spiritual side of the balance. I think this could be an interesting way to explore gender roles and show how balance can be achieved no matter what the circumstances are.

Ganesha Graffiti by Zarateman (Wikimedia)


Bibliography:
Seven Secrets from Hindu Calendar Reading Guide by Devdutt Pattanaik (Web Source)

4 comments:

  1. I haven't done a story planning post yet but I like the way you set this up. You gave us a great idea of what to expect in your next story. I like what you said about the division in Ganesha's personality. I think you could do a lovely story talking about those two instincts balancing one another within Ganesha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea! I think almost anyone can relate to the idea of choosing something for themselves or others. Writing this piece will be really interesting and I can wait to read it! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a fun post to read simply because this is my FIRST story planning post I have read. I really liked how you formatted it. I really think you have a good motion going with the creation of your next story. I am going to make sure I read your story next week so I can refer back to your story planning to see all the overlap. This will help me make a story planning post for my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of these story ideas would be interesting to read. It sounds like you can relate to both of your potential characters (juggling schoolwork and family), which always makes for a good story. It's great how you mentioned specific ideas for stories, instead of just saying random details that you liked in the readings. That way, it's easier to get feedback from comments on which story sounds cool to readers!

    ReplyDelete